Saturday 2 February 2013

The most important meal of the day

During the week I very rarely have anything for breakfast. Never at the office and almost never at home. Only when overseas do I have a proper breakfast, and only then to try something a little different. This year I have decided that I am going to make every effort to have breakfast at the weekend whatever happens, as I miss it. The first thing I ate in 2013 was a McDonald's breakfast.


This morning I had soft boiled eggs and soldiers. I love eggs but don't remember the last time I had them soft boiled, possibly not for two or three years? Scrambled, fried (over-easy), poached and in an omelette at least once a month each but never soft boiled. This is a little odd as I love hard boiled eggs and have them all the time, for me the hard boiled egg beats the banana as natures perfect snack-in-a-box. I'd forgotten how nice a runny egg with soldiers can be, possibly the best breakfast you can have* and certainly the breakfast most likely to put a smile on your face!

If you are reading this, I bet you can't remember the last time you had a soft boiled egg and soldiers? No? Put it back on your breakfast table.

* Whilst writing this I realised that Eggs Benedict is obviously the best breakfast you can have (although must be with ham, not bacon) but didn't want to say so as I felt that it diluted the article and was unfair to the sadly neglected soft boiled egg. Or possibly kippers are best, or kedgeree?

No comments:

Post a Comment