Monday 22 April 2013

Yiasou Souvlaki Bar, Harlow

Getting married. Having a child. Winning the lottery. All of these are an exciting event in anybody’s life, but they pale into insignificance when compared to the joy of the discovery of a new takeaway to try! I’m not sure whether this place has newly opened, or whether it has just passed me by, but when I found the delivery leaflet on my doormat on Thursday I knew right away that my dinner was sorted for that evening.


I ordered the mixed meat souvlakia meze (£8), which includes chicken, pork and beef. I wasn’t 100% sure exactly what souvlakia was, so here is what Wikipedia had to say on the matter…

Souvlaki (σουβλάκι) is a popular Greek fast food consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer. It may be served on the skewer for eating out of hand, in a pitta sandwich with garnishes and sauces, or on a dinner plate, often with fried potatoes.

I would say a very accurate description of a tasty dish; the meat was subtly spiced and had a great dry texture to it, a sort of light crust. Served with chips which were fine but not amazing, and a salad that consisted mostly of iceberg lettuce so a little disappointing. I ordered tzatziki to accompany my dish but unfortunately they sent garlic mayonnaise instead. The mayonnaise was tasty, albeit the portion was a little small. I really enjoyed the flatbread that came with the dish, just crispy enough and full of flavour.

On balance, despite a few frustrations, an enjoyable meal. However, I’m not sure whether this is because it was genuinely good or because it was new and different and therefore perhaps more interesting than it would otherwise have been? Basically, I need to order again to be entirely sure, so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment